Sunday, June 24, 2007

"The End of the Run"

The play ended its short but lovely run this afternoon, and now the hard work of trying to get it picked up by other companies starts. This is much harder than it sounds. It's already been rejected by a few companies that said things like "We enjoyed reading it, but ultimately decided it wasn't for us." That, of course, is like saying, "We're just not into you," and can be interpreted any number of ways. I know it's not badly written so... what? Too big a cast? Too gay? Playwright's last name isn't Kushner or Vogel? You wish they'd give you more, but they never do - a very frustrating experience that, as a writer, I have never gotten used to.

3 comments:

Alec said...

I hope your play doesn’t end at this festival. More people need to see it! My parents were busy on the other side of this state working in their garden, so they missed this first run. I am sure they would have enjoyed it very much. I hope I get a chance to bring them along next time to see this play wherever that may be. That said, we (LGBT) are still up against a lot of homophobia. Ironically, much in the same way some of your characters are in your play. Art imitates life. Hopefully your play will shine on and glow bright.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping through courtesy blog soldiers :)

Your play sounds incredibly interesting (even though I didn't really appreciate Our Town when I first saw it). Any chance of getting a copy of it to read, at least?

Unknown said...

Paula - I am just now becoming familiar with the piece and would love a chance to Direct it with my Theatre group it for SAN DIEGO PRIDE opening in July. I do need to hold auditions soon...and I tried to contact you on MYSPACE - please email me at your earliest convenience -
Or if anyone know how to get in touch with her please let me know!!
nicalus@gmail.com