Friday, April 6, 2007

"Queer Theater"

In case you're interested (and since you're reading this, you probably are), I found this online listing of gay and lesbian-supportive theater companies called "On the Purple Circuit."

Of course, there are other theater companies that don't only (or specifically) do queer-themed plays, but that produce them occasionally. My research, however, indicates that these gay-themed plays tend to be the established, major-prize-winning ones - like Angels in America, Take Me Out, or I Am My Own Wife.

There are a handful of queer theater festivals out there, but I haven't located a concise listing of them. Interestingly, when I Googled "lesbian and gay theater festivals" today, I found one I'd never heard of - the International Dublin Gay Theatre Festival.

So, if you're writing queer-themed plays, it definitely takes some sniffing around to find venues for your work.

No comments: