Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Dramatists Guild"

This morning I'm attending a Dramatists Guild event at Pittsburgh Public Theater with my friend and fellow playwright Beverly. I think we deserve big gold stars for getting up and out to a 10am meeting on a Saturday.

The event was billed as a "Town Hall meeting with Gary Garrison, DG Executive Director of Creative Affairs, Greg Bossler, DG Director of Publications, and Regional DG Rep Julie Tosh. Members and non-members are invited to attend. Garrison and Bossler will give a brief overview of the Guild, discuss plans for its future and then open to the floor for questions. Then we would like to turn the discussion to opportunities and resources for playwrights in the Pittsburgh region. Representatives from Pittsburgh theaters will talk about their programs for new works. This will also be a chance for the region’s playwrights to connect, network, learn about each other, and share ideas."

This seems to be part of the DG's effort to expand their programming outside of New York City, since many of their members live in other areas and work in regional theaters. There are apparently 60 members in Pittsburgh. I had let my membership lapse - for some reason, I couldn't justify the $95 associate fee last year - but when I saw they were actually coming to Pittsburgh, I re-upped. They do good work for playwrights, plus I've always enjoyed their publication, The Dramatist, so check out their website.

1 comment:

Beverly King Pollock said...

Can hardly wait to see the production of "Their Town." From the minute I read the first scene of the first draft, I knew that "Their Town" would be worthy of national acclaim.

After you have seen the play, you will agree that I am a genuine prophet.

Beverly King Pollock, member of Paula's support group for talented writers (SPEC)